Thursday 9 May 2013

Inspiration.

Allie Brosh is posting again.

Holy shit.  I cannot begin to express how exciting this is.

If you've never heard of Allie and Hyperbole and a Half its a blog about Allie's life and experiences.  

Yep, this is Allie.  I bet you've heard of this.

She's honest, blunt, and funny; she tells it how it is and makes you realize that you're not alone.  Have you ever felt like everyone but you has their shit together?  Like being a grown up is easy for everyone and you can't seem to muster up the strength to buy groceries?  Have you ever started crying for no reason in particular because it just seemed like the only thing you could do at the time?  As cliche as it sounds knowing that someone else feels like I do somehow makes it easier.  Peppered in with cute stories about her derpy dogs and childhood memories, her battles with adulthood and depression have hit home for me.  When I start feeling like every day is a struggle, I just read some Hyperbole and a Half and I feel just a little bit better.  Sometimes that little bit is all I need to make it until bed time.

So what does this have to do with weight loss?  Not much.  The better question is what does it have to do with inspiration?  A whole lot.

Since I've started this blog only 6 posts ago I've had an unimaginable and incredible response from so many people.  Some close friends, some acquaintances, some random people from the interwebs.

Thank you.  Really.

Sometimes I find it difficult to express sincerity without religion or archaic sayings that don't make any sense.  However, a long, long time ago someone told me that if I really mean it don't just say thanks, always take the time to say thank you.  So thank you, and know that I really, really mean it.

Even though this blog doesn't have the kind of cult following that Allie has amassed, I had no idea so many people would read it and be genuinely inspired and immensely supportive.  You are all so amazing.

My first motivation for this blog was to keep myself accountable.  As I've said before, if I put it all out there and say things out loud I can't hide behind my own excuses.  I'm fat.  I out of shape.  I gained weight.  I have a very unhealthy relationship with food.  My binging behaviour is embarrassing.  The excuses I've made for the shape I'm in are even more embarrassing.  I can't take these things back, I can't rationalize them anymore, and I can't magic them away into the land of make believe inside my head.

Once things are on the internet, they're out there forever.  FOREVER.

If even one person read this, I'd be elated, so this unexpected side effect of my shitty experiences helping people...well, wow.  Just wow.  I'm excited for everyone who has decided to to something to make themselves better.  Even teeny tiny little things.  Every victory is still a victory, no matter how small.

I think I have mentioned how I couldn't have made it this far without support, and for me this blog is part of that support.  Everyone who tries, who struggles, who picks themselves back up again, that takes it one day at a time, you are all my inspirations.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment